Monday, June 27, 2011

Chocolate Coconut Cake.

There is something about chocolate that makes me feel like this.


Ohhh the joy it can give.

So naturally, cooking anything chocolate makes me feel like Charlie. A kid who truly appreciates how good chocolate can make you feel.

Currently I have a friend staying with me who continually asks where all the baked goods are... Its a fun little challenge to see what I can throw together, to appease this sweet tooth.

Considering though, Saturday night was a 'girls night'.  It's safe to say Sunday I didn't really feel like baking...

Enter - the one bowl melt and mix Chocolate Coconut Cake.

Ohhh the simplicity.

A simple little recipe for a yummy cake, or cupcakes, for those days when you really just can't be bothered..


Chocolate Coconut Cake
  • 250gms of butter melted (not the healthiest of recipes!! feel free to knock it down to 200, but if it begins to look dry slowly add more untill it's a smooth consistancy)
  • 3/4 cup of sifted cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups of desiccated coconut
  • 1 1/2 cups of self raising flour
  • 1 level teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 cup of milk

    Preheating the oven to 180degrees, line a tall cake tin with baking paper.
    Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir until just mixed and moistened.
    Pour into cake tin and bake for 45mins.
    Allow to cool slightly then turn onto a cooling rack.

    The original recipe I followed called for an oven at 160degrees and baked for an hour. I played with the temperature and times as I felt like baking at that level for so long dried out my cake. 

    Top with a chocolate glaze, ganache or frosting.  The first time I baked this I went with a Ganache.

    Ganache, 1 1/2 cups of single pouring cream and 340gms of dark chocolate. Heat cream in a saucepan untill just boiling, remove and add chopped chocolate - stir untill smooth.


    Yesterday I baked it with a chocolate fudge topping of 250gms dark chocolate (I had none and went with milk - just wasn't as yummy!) 70gms of butter and 1/2 cup of cream, melted down in a pyrex bowl over a small amount of boiling water in a saucepan.




    Xx

    No comments:

    Post a Comment