Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Cranberry Breakfast Bars

Cranberries make me feel a little bit Christmas-y...


Pinned Image


Ok, so quite a lot Christmas-y.


It doesn’t take much to tip me over into way to early Christmas excitement. I’m pretty much there already. Christmas songs are getting the sly play every now and again… Christmas tags may or may not have been purchased on etsy… I’m like an elf… But the difference is I'm just slooowwwly getting prepared for the day..


Amongst my searching for decorating ideas, I became distracted by the thought of cooking with cranberries.. Baking with cranberries.. Who bakes.. Nigella bakes! Google Nigella and cranberries.. 

Cranberry Breakfast Bars. High five Nigella! 


I'll admit, I did a little happy dance.

I've been wanting to try muesli bars for a while now, but it’s been quite hard to find a recipe that wasn't too complicated. Because let’s be honest.. I like to bake, but if the recipe calls for too many ingredients, or has too many steps… I'm out.

Cranberry Breakfast Bars

But I do love a melt and mix recipe. It makes baking easy. I found Nigella's original recipe here. Although I played with the amounts, I only really added in a touch a white chocolate chips, just for a little treat! But with the moulding ingredients of warmed condensed milk and rolled oats, you could really do this with any flavours. Hazelnuts and dark chocolate with candied orange.. Dried mango and coconut.. Mmm.. Mango...



Recipe:

  • 1 can skim condensed milk *
  • Almost 3 cups of rolled oats
  • 1 cup cranberries
  • 3/4 cup shredded coconut
  • 1 cup peanuts chopped ( I added a handful of chopped walnuts and pecans too)
  • 1 cup of mixed seeds (I used sunflower kernels, pepitas and pine nuts)
  • Handful (or two) of white chocolate chips - optional

Preheat to oven to 150degrees. 
Line a large baking tray with baking paper. 
Warm the condensed milk on the stovetop slowly, stirring occasionally. 
Mix all ingredients into a bowl, stir warm milk through.

Bake in the oven for an hour, remove when slightly golden on top. 
Cool for 15minutes and then slice into squares. 
It helps to let it set just a little for slicing, as when it cools completely, it's harder to slice.

* I used skim milk as I'm trying to be health concious here! Also, full flavoured condensed milk may add a little too much sweetness to the bars for my liking.





Xx


Ps, all this talk of cranberries... 
Is anyone else singing.. Zombie, Zombie, Zombie-eh-eh-eh-eh........?

No comments:

Post a Comment