Friday, October 7, 2011

Daydreaming..

Have you ever had a dream that you thought was impossible? 

Maybe impossible is the wrong word.

Have you ever had a dream that you perhaps like dreaming about, more than the actual reality of it..?

I have one of those dreams.

It's a cake store... With a library. Or a book store. Or even a book swap. Or all three. Basically it's a cake store, with a load of books.

Fresh flowers would adorn every table, in sweet little jars. 
All the tea cups would be mismatched, the pastries and cakes would be served on small tiered servers. So not to block your view of the other people you're with.

It's a dream I think more and more about. I plan my menus. I imagine my store. The produce I would sell and the window displays I would create. 

It's all there in my imagination.

But for some reason I'm terrified of making it a reality.

Is it because half the fun is dreaming about it? That in my mind my picture perfect store with white washed chairs can never go into financial ruin, or get bad reviews, or have bad employees...? That in my imagination my cakes always taste amazing and are never dry?

Once, not so long ago, I was offered a job in a cupcake store, to do the front counter. I turned it down due to other commitments at the time.  But this afternoon, as I daydreamed about my forks and spoons being tied with twine, I found myself biting my lip with the tiniest amount of regret.  If I had taken the job. Would I be closer to my little dream? Would I have more of the necessary experience to make it all possible? 

Obviously there is no point squandering my time on such thoughts now. 

But it really, honestly, made me think today. That perhaps this little dream of mine isn't impossible. Maybe the only thing holding me back is fear.

Maybe I just need more practice. More experience. Maybe that time is now...?

I made a mini decision today. A mini decision to set me on the road to my little store. 

I would start practising more. Creating more. Changing recipes to suit my needs. Failure or not. I decided not to let that bother me. That the only way I can come closer to this little yellow store with white chairs and sweet treats, would be to practice. Baking. A lot.

It's only a small step. But hey, it's a step right?

So today I baked some lemon and raspberry muffins, adapting (yet again) this recipe. I used plain flour instead of wholemeal. Adjusted the sugar levels. Added an egg. 

And had an eggy failure.

But! 

I am undeterred. Tomorrow I attempt red velvet cupcakes. 

Every new recipe I try, I can add to my menus. To my special high tea menus... To my little dream kitchen.. To my little kitchen - book store... 



Xx

1 comment:

  1. You should do it May!! You CAN do it-i can imagine it now. 'Callie's Corner Cottage'. I could bring my laptop and work from there every day sipping tea and demolishing scones.

    ReplyDelete