Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sunny Lemon and Raspberry Muffins

On a working day, I dread breakfast. I either have to get up early to make myself a 'decent' breakfast... Or I hit snooze for far too long, and then am forced to eat a piece of toast while driving - or more frequently, skipping breakfast altogether.

Weekends are a totally different matter, going out for breakfast is my favourite meal of the day!! Long lazy brunches and one too many coffee's are the PERFECT start to a glorious weekend...


But seeing as midweek this is not an option, I am generally stumped for a healthy breakfast that doesn't include yoghurt..

Enter - the healthy breakfast muffin.

For these muffins I decided to use wholemeal self raising flour - as I generally can't stand the taste of bi-carb soda. Plus I figured wholemeal is healthier than white flour! Also the amount of raspberries you use is up to you, I like the tangy taste of raspberries, so I use allot! I have written about Raspberry and Lemon muffins before, as I am slightly obsessed with the flavours.. Although this time I have attempted my own version! My recipe is super easy and took me about 10 minutes to mix together. Joy!

Sunny Lemon and Raspberry Muffins Recipe:
  • 2 cups of Wholemeal Self Raising Flour
  • 1/2 cup caster sugar (it probably needs 3/4 cup of sugar - but I was being health concious!)
  • 1 twist of salt
  • 3 eggs
  • A splash of Vanilla Essence
  • 1 Lemon Rind finely grated
  • 1 cup of low fat buttermilk
  • As many raspberries as you like (I used around 2 1/2 cups)
  • As much Muesli as you like ( I used about 1/3 a cup per muffin)

In a larger bowl, place the flour and sugar (dry ingredients). In a smaller bowl gently whisk the eggs, vanilla, lemon rind and buttermilk (wet ingredients) together. Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and add the raspberries.  Mixing together very briefly, so not to turn the mixture purple like I did.  Scoop mixture into muffin tins until 3/4 full - top with muesli.

Bake in a preheated oven at 180degrees for 30minutes.  Hopefully they turn out yummy AND healthy.



Xx




PS.. I may or may not have added one teeny white chocolate button in the centre before baking......... A little bit of sneaky chocolate can't hurt.... right???

2 comments:

  1. These sound delicious! I'll have to try them on my day off. As a Weight Watchers devotee, I don't think a little would hurt the scales. My WW mentor would probably agree, just in moderation, she would say :)
    And a little white chocolate button never hurt anyone...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Katie you're a gem, let me know how you find them! xx

    ReplyDelete